No camping trip is complete without a few good nature walks along the way – and no nature walk is complete without trail mix! This is one of my favorite camping recipes for trail mix. I even make it throughout the year for my family and it’s one of our favorite snacks! The best part is you can easily modify it to add ingredients you like or leave out the ones you don’t. Make sure to make a big batch before setting out on your next camping trip in your new or used RV!
Fruit & Nut Trail Mix
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons butter
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup each: slivered almonds, chopped hazelnuts, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup each: golden raisins, dried cranberries, and coarsely chopped apricots
You’ll also need:
- Large nonstick skillet
- Large cookie sheet/baking tray
- Aluminum foil
- Wooden spoon
Let’s get mixing!
- Line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil, lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Heat butter in a skillet over med-high heat.
- When butter is melted, stir in honey. Cook about 2 minutes, or until mixture bubbles around the edges of the pan.
- Add nuts, seeds, and spices. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes. Stir frequently until the nuts are golden in color.
- Stir in raisins or other dried, coarsely chopped fruit, mixing well.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet and let cool completely.
Your family will love this camping recipe for homemade trail mix, especially if you make it your own by mixing up the ingredients to suit your personal tastes. Try different nuts, chopped dried fruits, or even toss in chocolate chips (semi-sweet or white), or M&Ms!